Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Commitments


The gym I belong to has a 20 week project, beginning February 3rd. It's called Health PA, and they offer a free month of membership to anyone who completes the 20 weeks. You're required to go to the gym at least three times a week, for at least 45 minutes per visit. I don't think this is going to be difficult, because I'm already committed to going twice a week: Mondays I go to yoga, and Tuesdays I attend SPINN class. I'm always there a third time, and often, a fourth.

There are a lot of benefits to participating. Some of them are silly: a tee shirt, a certificate. Some of them are more important, to me at least: weekly nutritional and exercise counselling, and a team to work with and encourage you. I think this is one of the best things I've done, lately. I'm going to officially sign up tonight, at SPINN class, but my SPINN instructor has already extracted promises from me. It's very exciting!

20 weeks seems like a long time, and it takes us into June. You only get one "free day" pass, for if you are sick or otherwise occupied. It's a little scarey. Yet, I feel this is something I need to do. You get to log all your exercise minutes, so I'll be able to see my own progress, charted for everyone to see.

I am doing this for all the right reasons. I want to be healthy, able to keep up with the twins, and ready to move to New Hampshire and deal with farm chores and animals and such. However, I have a couple of less humanitarian reasons. I really want to look better! I don't look bad, now, but I don't look the way I want to look. I want, very much, to have a sculpted hipline, and more muscular arms and legs. Perhaps that's a bit selfish, but I want it... and really, the other reasons were the ones that got me going to the gym. My self-image isn't important enough to get me off the couch, whereas the looming possibility of hauling manure daily certainly IS important enough.

I am sore today, after yesterday's greuling yoga work out, but I am looking forward to SPINN tonight. I know that each time I go, I improve my health... and my waistline.
Post a Comment