Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Written in Wine

Today, I received my copy of Written in Wine, a Devotional Anthology for Dionysos. It was put together by the folks at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina, a lot of whom are on the Neokoroi mailing list which I belong to. It looks fantastic - very professional, very well put together. Even the binding is nice.

Of course, the best part about it, is that my name is in it, in print. I'm so excited about it! Since feeling this call from Dionysus, my life has taken a real upswing. I have been much more creative, more vibrant, more interested in life. I have also felt much more spiritual. Perhaps it is the Greek religious version of poly's "NRE" (New Relationship Energy), but whatever it is, I'm glad for it.

I have been experiencing an interesting thing at yoga class. We do all our stretches and poses, and then the last five minutes of class are a deep breathing and relaxation exercise. I use this time for a deep meditation, building on the imagery presented by our instructor. Her visual cue is that we are lying on a beach, with one hand being touched gently by the surf, and the other hand buried in sand, while the sea breeze goes over us, and the sun warms us.

In my first deep medtiation at yoga class, I had the visualization of it being the beach on which Dionysus found Ariadne. I pictured myself in her place, my dress tattered and wet, the salt tickling my drying skin... it was very vivid. The first time, it ended there.

The next class, and all the classes since then, I have felt the presence of Dionysus, very VERY strongly. He came down to the beach, and I couldn't really see from where because of the sun in my eyes. All I could see was this strong body, barely covered by a toga-like item of clothing. He carried a large bunch of grapes in one hand, and a staff in the other. As he approaced me, the wild ivy and grapes near the edge of the beach began to grow rapidly, and draped themselves over me, rather suggestively. It wasn't sexual, per se, but it felt very nice. In a way, it was extremely relaxing.

Then he would come down, and put my head in his lap. He would simply sit there, stroking my hair, making those soft noises that men sometimes make when they soothe babies or toddlers. They're just sounds, not words, and they make you feel safe, and wanted, and loved. It was incredibly intense. It IS incredibly intense.

I am every so glad that I wrote the poem for the anthology. Wow... For those interested, here are the relevent details:

Written in Wine: A Devotional Anthology for Dionysos
By the Editorial Board of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina
Price: $17.99
Publication Date: Jan 29 2008
ISBN/EAN13: 1434836738 / 9781434836731
Page Count: 220
Binding Type: US Trade Paper
Trim Size: 5.5"x8.5"
Post a Comment