Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The art of Writing

I have always considered myself to be a decent, and perhaps even a good writer. I have a fairly good grasp of grammar and spelling, and my sentence structure is usually alright. What I am finding in going over my book to edit, though, is that I use up the entire household's consignment of commas.

Yes, that's right. Commas.

I apparently have a love-on with the comma. I have commas everywhere. It's like they're growing in my text. I believe that what I"m doing is adding in commas whenever I have a pause to think. Since I type about 120 wpm, the words come tumbling out of my fingers at relatively high speed. They keep up with my thoughts most times, and I think I am using my mental pauses as a hint to put in a comma.

I have way too many commas in my book. Farnham is carefully peeling them out, one by one. It's painful for him, though. LOL...

That said, I'm almost done the second edit, the first BIG edit. I've been going through my red-pen marks and revising and editing, and I'm quite pleased with the results. It is coming together quickly. The only downside is that I'm going to be putting it down for two weeks once this edit is done, to give time to the other editors. I don't know if I *can* put it down for that long.

I am thinking about my next book...
Post a Comment