Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Ago...

Seven years ago today, I was just waking up and stumbling to my computer to say hi to my friends. No one was talking, though. Everyone was silent, and chat room headers pointed people to their televisions: someone was bombing the United States.

I rushed into the living room, turning on the tv just in time to see the live image of the second plane hitting the tower, and the flames, the debris raining down, the chaos. My stomach dropped, and I frantically began trying to call people that I knew. I had a friend who's son was supposed to be in the Towers that day. Gray was suppsed to be near or in the Pentagon (I didn't realize he didn't actually enter it, but worked nearby). I had a few friends in PA, but didn't know if they were near where the plane crashed or not. 

I remember them shutting the schools down, and going to pick up my daughter. I remember seeing the faint trails of smoke in the distance, even the few hundred miles away from NYC that we were. I remember Bush's first few statements, and the rush of gratitude that it wasn't Gore in office, as embarassing as the feeling was. 

I remember all the planes being grounded. I'd never heard of such a thing. For a long time, there was nothing in the air, nothing overhead, and we lived in fear of our lives. All the rules changed that day. Before September 11th, 2001, if you were involved in a hijacking, you knew that if you just did what the nice hijackers said, eventually you'd get out. That's not the case anymore. Now, we're not so naieve. We know that the "nice hijackers" might choose to take the plane down over a national monument, or some cowardly civillian target.

I remember watching the images, over and over again. You couldn't NOT watch. I had never seen destruction on such a wide range before. And it was in NYC, so close in the grand scheme of things. If I had ever doubted the Gods, all doubt disappeared that day as I found out that every single person who should have been near or in any of the crash sites was mysteriously ill or unable to get to work that day. Yes, thousands of people died... but if it had been a "normal" day, TENS of thousands of people would have died. For whatever reason... thank the Gods... it wasn't a normal day.

It was a vivid reminder, painted in the blood of human lives, that stupid things can and will still be done in the name of religion.
Post a Comment