Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Victory Garden Meme

Victory Garden Meme Questions

1. What are your favorite local garden resources (ex. nurseries, blogs, reliable regional "celebrity" gardeners,county/parish extension office)?

Since I'm just starting the whole Victory Garden experience, I don't yet have people that I really read or follow. I get Gardening magazine, and I read Red White and Grew, and the occasional post of interest to me on random blogs (such as this one on The Old Foodie. Beyond that, I turn to Farnham for information and help, as he's our respected elder and expert!

2. What are your favorite books and magazines?

Hm. I am reading Living the Good Life by Helen and Scott Nearing. We read Country Life. Silly enough, I also enjoy reading the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. While they don't give a lot of indepth information, I find them inspiring. They give me hope that we can actually do this. We also read the Foxfire books, which are fantastically fun!

3. What have you had success with growing in your fall garden?

Well, we don't have one this year as we're in the process of moving from PA to NH, but we've been successful with squash, zucchini, pumpkin, onions, parsnips, and other fall crops in previous years.

4.  When do you plant and harvest it?

Good question. We have to work on this!

5. What is your favorite gardening tip?

Hm... I think I am enamored of the idea that you can plant things in the fall in order to harvest them in the spring, when the weather thaws. That's so neat!

6. Why do you call your garden a _________ (Victory Garden, Peace Garden, Freedom Garden, vegetable garden...etc.)?

Well, I was investigating Victory Gardens thanks to a picture on a wall, and I decided that the idea was well suited to our little homestead. This isn't our victory over an outside enemy of our country.  Instead, it's our victory over high food prices, over harvesting and slaughtering practices that we disagree with, and over people who would tell us that our family is somehow wrong.

Vive le garden! 
Post a Comment