Monday, March 23, 2009

The Tides of Spring

I am happy to be living on land that has four seasons again. I admit, I never thought I'd like it, but I do. It's a great feeling to have real spring, not just a couple of weeks of rain that turn into summer. I'm excited to look out and see the bright, warm sun, and feel it on my skin, but still have snow on the ground with green things peeping through. It just feels right.

On Saturday, we celebrated our Spring Rites. I chose to use a Hellenic style of ritual, and we made offerings of meat, bone, and fat, wine and barley, bitter herbs and sweet fruit to Persephone, Haides, Demeter, and Hecate, as well as to the other gods as a whole. The weather was perfect: the sun was high in the sky, and the temperature was warm enough that my Roman style robes were not overly chilly to wear. The snow was there, which allowed us to have a full bonfire, even if it didn't blaze up quite as excitingly as I had hoped it would. We had six or seven adults, three teens, and the twins there, and everyone was very involved in things. We blessed eggs, as well - hard boiled ones for eating, and raw ones to go at the corners of our garden for protection purposes.

The best part (for me) of the day was the Pomp, the procession from our home to the ritual area. I don't yet have a full temenos set up, but I had set aside the first log landing on our hill as the temporary one. We all walked up, slowly, to the beat of two drums. It was measured, paced, stately... I was amazed at the difference it made for me in ritual. I felt much more focused, more THERE. I will be very pleased, from now on, to have that long walk to my ritual spot. That ten minutes or so gave me a great insight into why the Greeks did it.

The text of our ritual is available here:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcrsnhds_189dgkdnfdg

Enjoy!
Post a Comment