Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hecate as Mother

You don't see a lot of information out there, about Hecate as a mothering or nurturing sort. Yet, there's historical writing showing she was worshiped as a fertility and grain goddess in Thrace, and possibly as a goddess of the hearth. She certainly is a protector of women in labor, and of young children. People spend most of their time focusing on the "croneish" aspects, though, and forget these venerable qualities.

Yesterday, I sat down to do some writing, and found myself typing out something that's been building inside for a while. I want to share it here.

Maternal Hecate

I was but a child of seven or eight years,
Terrified in the night.
I knew not what I called to, so desperately,
And yet I knew instinctively to call.

The mother of my body lay,
Dark and brooding elsewhere,
Never heeding my fears,
Ignoring the stiffled sobs in the night.

The gods, they hear our pleas,
Even when screamed silently.
They hear, and they answer us,
In their own mysterious ways.

I was but a child of seven or eight years,
Terrified in the night.
I called out to god, ignorant and desperate,
Innocent, and hungry for comfort.

The mother of my soul answered,
Bright and warm and full of love,
Wrapping incomprehensiblly large arms
Around my trembling being.

I didn't know her name, then.
I simply called her "god."
She heard me crying, and took pity
On a child who had no one to nurture her.

I was but a child of seven or eight years,
Terrified in the night,
When she first touched my yearning mind
And made me her own, unknowing.

The mother of mothers,
Hecate, saffron robed and beauteous,
You have never left me,
Through all the tribulations of my life.

Io Hecate!
Post a Comment