Monday, June 8, 2009

NA's Artistic Agon 2009


Well, I didn't win this year, but there was good reason for that. The other entries were stunning. I'm not shy about voting for myself if I think my writing is better than someone else's, but I could not in good conscience vote for my own work. The other entries outshone me by a mile!

I'm proud to be a part of Neos Alexandria's agons. I love that it helps keep alive not just our community, but the traditions of times gone past, when excellence was rewarded richly. The sense of friendly but stiff competition that used to underlie American society has died off in this era of "everyone wins" (*cough* bullshit *cough*). I was sorely disappointed when I realized I wasn't even in the running, but the flames of competition burn inside me now, and next year I'll be doing something much more worthy of the contest!
Post a Comment