Thursday, July 2, 2009

Over the Hump

Well, I'm on day 5 of my fast. I'm over the hump, so to speak, and have made it through the day of water only. I had moments when I thought I would give up, but I bulled through, thanks to family support, and now I'm coming out the other side.

Today is fluids only, but I can have a bit of broth soup later, and I'm back to drinking grapefruit juice and tea with Splenda. I'm feeling a lot more energetic today, than I did yesterday. I just wish it wasn't so darn wet outside, so I could go do some gardening.

Doing this fast has made me really think about food, and what it means to me. I noticed yesterday that it was not easy to come up with something to do with Farnham, when we were between his doctor appointments. Normally we'd go and have lunch, or sit and nosh on nachos at Armadillo Burritos. Even my television shows, when I sat to watch them, had people eating all through them. Food touches our lives in so many ways, sometimes even in ways we don't think about.

Fasting has made me face up to some of my personal food addictions. Craving food on a fast isn't wrong, per se, but I was craving all manner of things that were bad for me: chocolate, pizza, burgers, fried foods... I have a garden full of fresh veg outside, and I craved carb load. Bleh. Now that I'm out the other side of this thing, I'm looking at the fresh peas and bib lettuce and the second batch of radishes coming up, and thinking OOH YUM!

Don't get me wrong. I'm not giving up my occasional burger. I just need to get back to a place where a burger is a treat, not a daily occurance. I've pretty much had the dessert monster tamed for a while now, and it's not something I want or expect every night. Once a week or so, it's nice to have a sweet something after supper, but not every day. I just need to extend that so that the bad things become treats again, rather than staples.
Post a Comment