Friday, October 9, 2009

Not what I originally intended to post....

I am... aghast. Apparently, this morning the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to President Barak Obama. To mimic my outrage voiced on Facebook, this is the biggest WTFery this year. Maybe even this decade. Like many of the people in the article, I find myself asking... what has he done to be awarded this prestigious award?? How could this have happened? I went to the Nobel Peace Prize website to see if I could get more information, because no one at the NY Times was able to tell me why Obama got this award.

Just to be clear, the Nobel Peace Prize has been won by such people as Mother Theresa... the 14th Dalai Lama... Desmond Tutu... Mikhail Gorbochev... Here's a complete list.

So this is what the Nobel site has to say: Obama was awarded the prize "... for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

WHAT?

I don't even want to get into what I think of Obama's policies here. This is my spiritual blog and I do my best to keep politics out of it. But I am just sick over this. A LOT of people are now saying they are questioning whether the award actually means anything. That's a terrible, disgusting thing. The winner of any Nobel prize should be a CLEAR winner, or one of several people who the world knows has worked long and hard on their chosen task.

Someone in the NY Times article said it best: whether Obama makes something of himself or not is yet to be seen; we don't hand out prizes for "future" stuff.

Sigh.
Post a Comment