Wednesday, November 4, 2009

For Hestia


Within the small confines of our wood cook stove, you can see the blazing glory of Hestia, Goddess of the Hearth. I feel very lucky to be a person who is able to have a true hearth fire. My small Hestia altar hangs on the wall beside this stove, and contains an ear of corn, a small sheaf of wheat, a miniature wooden spoon, an offering bowl and a candle. I don't spend a lot of time worshipping Hestia, but she is always present, and I can always feel her. It's as if the house itself is her temple, and we're pieces within it.

Today is a special day, being the first day I lit the fire in the wood cook stove this year. We've had the big heat stove in the living room going already, but I decided to make scalloped potatoes for dinner, and wanted to do it in the slow-cooking interior of the cook stove's oven. So I lit the fire and got it good and hot, and then made a small burnt offering to Hestia, who I thanked for the warmth for people and food. Now, the heady scent of toasted barley is wafting around my kitchen, and making me hungry!
Post a Comment