Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas is Coming

Our tree is up, our driveway is plowed out, and I'm cuddled up in my bed watching snow fall outside the window. It's a wonderful day, and I'm very happy. Friday is the first day of Hanukah, which we're going to celebrate this year. We already set up our Hanukia (the Hanuka menorah) and readied it for Friday's celebration. We'll be going to the church for the first night, as our pastor is holding a celebration with latkes and other delicious yumminess. The other seven days I'll be doing at home with the kids. I've been practicing saying the Hebrew prayers, and I'm rather proud of how well I'm doing. The kids have been learning alongside me, which is a lot of fun, and exciting, too!

This month my seminary class is studying Judaism, and so I'm enjoying the celebrations. I had planned on observing them anyhow, but it's nice to know it gets me credit on top of everything else. On the last day of Hanukah, I'm going to a Jewish synagogue to watch a Rabbi do it properly. I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm also looking forward to Yule, and to Christmas. Yule we're celebrating at home, with everyone here. I'm cooking up goose, and we'll sing some carols, open some gifts, and eat bad things. I've started making everyone's gifts, just little things but made with love. For Christmas we're going to Gray's parents' home, in St. Louis, MO. That'll be fun, too, because they're just incredible people, very tolerant of our odd ways. They cook up a storm, too, which is bad for my waistline but GREAT for my tastebuds. I admit, it's nice to go there and know that my major resposibility for the day is making sure I make my bed.
Post a Comment