Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's Here!

It arrived today! Tomorrow evening we're celebrating the Passover at church (yes, yes, I know... a pagan priestess leading a Jewish ceremony in a Christian church - the ultimate in interfaith). I wanted to have a proper Seder plate for the ceremony, because I wanted it to be physical, to be real for people. Well, here it is. It's very real, very beautiful, and all the way from Israel. I am stunned with how gorgeous it is, how the colors pop. The lines are delicate, yet strong. It's very light, a true china, and it's hand painted. Wow.

Tomorrow we'll serve up our Maror, our Haroset, the shank bone, matzoh, parsley, bitter herbs, and roasted egg. We'll eat matzoh balls and chicken soup, potato pancakes, eggs, unleavened bread, and who knows what else. Tomorrow we'll simultaneously celebrate the Jews' Exodus from Egypt and the last supper Jesus shared with his disciples. It's not truly Passover, and not truly The Last Supper, and still it is a learning, an education, a growing together in friendship.
"So we are called to do both -- to serve and to savor -- not at the same time, perhaps, because that may not be possible, but each in turn at the appropriate time. Which is another way of saying that one's life depends on being inconsistent in the way all who both breath in and breath out are inconsistent.

"O God, help me both to serve and to savor -- and to know which I am called to do at this time. Amen.
" -- Martin B. Copenhaver
In the package with the Seder plate, I also received a hamsa, on which is inscribed  the Tefilat HaDerech or traveller's prayer. The front has a Star of David with a central deep blue jewel, and the back has the prayer in Hebrew script. Luckily it's very clear Hebrew script, and I was able to go look up common prayers inscribed on hamsas, which led me to find the Tefilat HaDerech in both English, Hebrew, and transliterated Hebrew. Yay me!
Post a Comment