Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kevin's Funeral Rites

Tonight, the dark of the moon, I took time to commit Kevin A. to the earth, to Haides. He is the brother of my good friend Davydd, and I had promised I would do this rite. I used a fairly standard Greek ritual format for the dead, one which is both modern and has many portions based on very ancient practices. Because Kevin lived far away, and has already been bodily interned in his own town, this was more of a memorial service than a funeral, but I treated it as a funeral. I felt like it was the right thing to do.

I walked in silence up to our graveyard, with nothing but a pitcher of pure water and an oil lamp. My hair was unbound and covered, befitting a funeral rite. Farnham came up in the car, as it's a bit of a hike, but I felt it was necessary for me to walk the Pomp properly.

Once there, I followed through the ritual. I spoke words for Kevin, and commended him to the gods. I asked boons of Dionysos, Hecate, Persephone, Hermes, and Haides. I buried Kevin's name on a small stele, along with grave goods of rings and precious stones, and clothing. His "grave" is between the graves of the people who originally built our old farmhouse, Mr. Timothy and Ms. Sarah Parker.

The ritual was very quiet. I didn't cry much; I didn't know Kevin terribly well. But it was important to me to honor his name. Immortality comes to us through others who remember us when we have passed over, and so the only real gift I can give him is remembrance. That, I give freely.

Hail, Kevin, and travel lightly and well on your journey. You will be missed. Rest in peace.
Post a Comment