Sunday, May 2, 2010

New York, New York

I had class yesterday, the second-to-last class for this year! It's hard to believe it's gone so quickly. The past month and a half have been intense, full of homework and deep thoughts, rituals and sermons. I'm glad April is over with, and I don't have to deal with it for another whole year. I've had enough of spring rains, snow, insane weather, being sick, being stuck inside, alternating between my thick winter blankets and thin coverlets... I've just had enough. It was fun, but now it's over, and I'm ready to hit May with all my might!

Our class yesterday was just as intense as the last several. I'm glad I was there, rather than trying to listen to things on CD. It was a very visual, very experiential time, and being there really made an impact on me. Our morning speaker was there to talk about chemical dependency and disfunctional families. She used us to create a talking tableaux of a disfunctional family, which was both funny and somewhat scary. I could see a lot of my bio family in it, and maybe a bit of my chosen family as well.

The afternoon speaker practices and teaches Non-Violent Communication, and she helped us learn to be better listeners and communicators. A lot of what she had to teach us was stuff I already know, but the things I didn't know really complimented my current knowledge. I am thrilled that I was able to be a part of the class, and ask questions.

The class just seemed to whiz by. Considering I'd gotten up at 4am to make it to class in NYC by 9am, I was taken aback by how quickly it appeared to be over.

Today, I studiously avoided homework. Instead, I mowed the lawn, planted herbs, and took it easy. Wonderful!
Post a Comment