Friday, August 20, 2010

Big Tent Prompt - Wordle

This week's prompt at Big Tent Poetry was a Wordle, something I haven't run into before. They take some random words from a respected poet's published work, and make a visual clip of it. We then take those words and incorporate them into our own poetry. It's an interesting concept, one that I normally wouldn't use. It makes me nervous to think I might write something like what the original author wrote. However, they don't give a link to the actual poem until AFTER we've posted ours, so the risk is small. The words in this wordle were: cars, baked, blown, hose, deep, dry, moisten, plant, silk, pineapple, pots, stream, summer, zeroes. They come from “Last August Hours Before the Year 2000,” by Naomi Shihab Nye, available here. Here is my offering.

How did I get here?

The summer stream of dry air
Is blown past the cars that park
On the city streets.
I dream of the green hose my mother used
To hook up our sprinkler when I was a child.
The baked tar of the new section of road
Seems to moisten in the hot sun.
The 'oo' in 'school' painted on its
Deep black surface looks like zeroes
Added to the thermometer's numbers,
Telling me how hot it really is.
The summer stream bed is dry now,
Only baked rocks and browning plants
Decorating its banks.
I wonder how I got from there to here,
From city to farm,
From hectic to serene,
As I hook up the green hose
So like my mother's,
To moisten the soil of my plants.
Post a Comment