Sunday, October 31, 2010

All Hallows Eve

From Magic Art
Tonight is the night I have always felt the dead roamed the earth. It made sense to me at 18 when I fell in love with Wicca, and it makes sense to me now, more than 20 years later. I can't think of any other night that better captures the joy and fear and trepidation and excitement of Halloween. Whether you call it Halloween, Samhain, All Hallows Eve, All Saints Eve, or something else entirely doesn't really matter. This day is ingrained into us as a day of the dead. In the immortal words of every campaigning politician, my name is Allyson Szabo, and I approve of this message. *grin*

Last night I held a small ritual at a friend's place, to celebrate the passing of those who've died in the past year. Some really stick out in my mind (Tom Bosley, everyone's dad) and some I barely knew about (Sen. Byrd). Still, everyone deserves to be mourned, remembered, and celebrated. The ritual was a fairly standard Greek style ceremony including khernips and all the trimmings. Most of those attending were teens, which was both exciting and daunting. I worried they would either think it was boring, or some kind of game. They didn't... they were wonderful, and took it quite seriously (at least in my presence).

Tonight, I always think most about my grandfather, who would have celebrated his birthday yesterday, and my friend Eric, who died suddenly just days before the twins were born. Of all my ancestors these two are always at the forefront of my mind. Perhaps that's not fair to the myriad others, but... they stay with me. I felt them there, last night. I felt them with me during dinner. I feel them with me now. This is their time now, I suppose. I feel honored. I feel cherished. I feel a little sad.

Happy Samhain, everyone.
Post a Comment