Tuesday, January 11, 2011

More Seeds from Barefoot on Holy Ground

Review the people, books, lectures, and other sources of knowledge that have inspired and stimulated you.

People who have inspired me would have to include Rabbi Rachel Barenblat, the Deans and instructors at The New Seminary as well as my classmates there, Alison Jacobs who was my first real pastor, my sister-wife, Gray, and numerous others. I could make the list go back to fourth grade teachers but I think that's going a bit too far.

People are important to me, to say the least. I am both shy and a people person. It takes a great deal of effort for me to stand up in front of people I don't know, or to circulate at a party where I don't know anyone. I often make up for it by being full of jokes and stories, which hide my shyness.

Books would have to include anything by Robert Heinlein. Some of his most popular books, such as Stranger in a Strange Land and To Sail Beyond the Sunset have been pivotal in my understanding of life and liberty. Others, like Starship Troopers, have helped me formulate an understanding of what kind of society I would like to live in. His main characters (Lazarus and Maureen Long, Podkayne, Hilda, Friday, etc) all show the kind of honor, integrity, and honesty that I myself try to display.

As to other places such as lectures, I think that attending Tony's chemistry class was a real eye opener for me. For the first time, I was forced to accept that I could do it, that I was intelligent enough to understand and excel at something that wasn't literary. Joining Seminary was also one of the most inspiring things I've ever done. I've learned so much about myself and the world around me, and been forced to challenge all my thoughts and beliefs!

There is one other source of knowledge that I feel I need to credit here, and that would be my gods. They have inspired me, filled me with light and revelation, bathed me in spirit, lifted me up when nothing else would (or could!), and been with me through all things. Even during the dark times of the soul which come on many practitioners of occult sciences, they have been there even if they've been recessed a bit. I have never felt they failed me, although I've questioned them. I am proud to serve them, and proud to say that what I don't know about them is so vast that I feel I am completely without knowledge. Yet they have filled me with knowledge, as well.
Post a Comment