Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent: Searching the Soul

Lent is a time of soul searching, of examining the innards of our minds and souls to examine them for flaws, problems, and sore spots. It's time to pay attention to our animating essence and see if any part of our true selves has come unstuck from our bodies. I see this as a time for taking a spiritual inventory, taking stock of what I've used up, what I need to replenish, and what is on the shelves that just needs to be thrown out because it's way past its expiration date.

For Christians, this inner cleansing leads up to a few things. There's the celebration of the Last Supper, of Pentacost and Passover, and the Assumption. It's roughly connected with the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert, resisting temptations from Shaitan. The whole "40 days" thing is important in Abrahamic faiths in general, being the time people spend apart from others. It seems to be associated with cleansings. Think of Moses, leading the Israelites through the desert for 40 years.

As a hybrid, with beliefs both in my Greek gods and the Christian ones, this is a time of purification for me. During Passover and the church observances of Jesus' death and resurrection, my Greek shrines will be shrouded. I will go through this time thinking about life and death, and my participation in the church and in Hellenic paganism.

The Labyrinth

I step, I step with leery eye
Upon the path laid out for me
My heart it beats as if to die
And in my ears the buzzing bee

Doth make me want to turn aside
Away from labyrinthine turns
And twists with not one place to hide
Nor from this maze ever return

I must look, not turn away,
And see my spirit revealed thus
Baldly, blandly on display
Nothing left there to discuss

My soul, my soul is on display
With none but me to look at it
Its wreck and ruin and disarray
Its golden aura a perfect fit

I tread the sacred path until
My soul is ready to refill
With strength and joy and peace of mind
The searching soul once more refined.
Post a Comment