Monday, March 14, 2011

Seeds of Creation

Review your history with the feminine aspect of the Divine. Who, if any, were your feminine spiritual role models?

I have a long history with feminine Divinity. My first memory of contact with "god" was of crying out in the night and having massive, nurturing arms surrounding me. For the longest time, I thought the term "god" meant that Lady who held me at night. It wasn't until I was 11 or 12 that I realized it was a masculine term, and that confused me. I had no real feminine or female spiritual role models while growing up. My mother was anti-religious and anti-spiritual, and my close family were not really all that religious. My Hungarian grandmother was Catholic, but when she took me to services they were in a language I didn't speak and I had no idea what was going on. It wasn't until I was in my late teens and early 20s that I really began to find female role models in the pagan community in BC. Even then, I was sorely disappointed to discover that many of them had serious feet of clay.

How much were you taught about the Sacred Mother? What messages about Her were unspoken but firmly communicated?

I was taught nothing about the Sacred Mother growing up. In fact, it wasn't until I found Wicca that the term "mother" was anything other than a swear word to me. The only message unspoken about religion (and this was about any religion) was that it was a crutch and those who were religious were deluded fools.

Do your practices include the Mother?

It's hard for me to answer that. I don't believe in an "all encompassing" mother goddess. That said, there are certainly mother goddesses that play strong roles in my personal religious practices. I honor Demeter as the grieving and attentive mother. I honor Hera as the "queen mother" of the gods. Hecate, who is my matron, is sometimes seen as a mother figure depending on how far back you look. She is always the mother to me, though, because it was Hecate who held me all those years ago.

Do you use the term Goddess? Why?

I do use the term goddess, though I don't capitalize it because I know many goddesses and not just one who rules the universe. The term 'goddess' is just a title, a descriptor to explain that a particular Divine Power is feminine in how it shows itself. Why do I use the term? It's a good descriptor - a female divine power. It seems as good a term as any. It's hard sometimes, being with a group of people (in seminary) who believe "all are one" because that is not my belief. Well, not exactly. I believe that the gods are separate entities, unique in their own rights, but that some divine thread joins them all in a way we can't understand. Hence why I use the term "squishy polytheist" when referring to myself.
Post a Comment