Sunday, August 26, 2012

Autumn Gratitude

This is the salad I made tonight - Autumn Chopped Salad. It's really yummy. It's incredibly easy to make, too, and is nutritious to boot. In fact, I can't think of a bad thing to say about this. It will happily be the salad on my Thanksgiving table this November, and I will serve it every chance I get between now and then.

I'm grateful for the chance to make and eat this delicious salad, and to bask a bit in the glow of the compliments I received about how good it was.

Autumn Chopped Salad

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 medium pears, chopped 
  • 1 cup dried cranberries 
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 8 slices thick-cut bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
  • 4-6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
  • poppy seed salad dressing
  • balsamic vinaigrette

In a very large bowl, combine the lettuce, pears, cranberries, pecans, bacon and feta cheese. I have sometimes switched out walnuts for the pecans, and tonight I only had one bit of romaine so ended up adding a little bit of leaf lettuce from the garden and a couple of handfuls of finely chopped cabbage as well. Drizzle generously with poppy seed dressing, followed by some of the balsamic vinaigrette. I would estimate that I used about a cup of dressing: 70 percent poppy seed dressing and 30 percent balsamic vinaigrette. If you prefer your salad to have more dressing, feel free to experiment with the combination.

Do not skimp on the ingredients. Whatever you get, get good quality. We got a sale on dried cranberries and so bought several packages, which was nice. I use raw walnuts a lot of the time, so that's what went in tonight's salad. We had BLT sandwiches for lunch and so we made up extra crispy bacon and that was what got tossed into the salad tonight.

I use Brianna's Rich Poppy Seed dressing, which is sweet and rich and incredibly tasty. I sometimes make my own vinaigrette but this time I used a Kraft one that was in the fridge. All natural, and in the case of the vinaigrette, organic. Yum!
Post a Comment