Monday, August 27, 2012

Gratitude for fresh bread

There's something wonderful about the flavor of truly fresh bread. When you sweat and ache because you turned the hand crank on your flour mill to make the flour, it's extra sweet. We all had a hand in today's bread, because the hand grinder is pretty tough to work and the arms get sore fast. Still, that "payment" is for something incredibly healthy, with an ingredient list of four items: flour, water, salt, yeast. I've been making a "no knead" rustic bread lately, something new for me. It's very moist and spongy when you make it, but it turns out a delicious and nutty loaf of bread. It's great with soup or stew or just plain with butter and honey. So today I'm grateful for fresh bread made with my own hands and the sweat of my family's brow.
Post a Comment